GREATER JACKSON CHAMBER PARTNERSHIP'S 2018 ANNUAL MEETING
CONTINENTAL TIRE UPDATE
(The Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership Staff recently took a tour of Continental Tire's Site.)
OVERALL PLANT TOPICS:
Piling is underway, 700 acres of land is cleared, over 4 million cubic yards of earth has been moved and 95% of earthworks is complete.
The construction of the training center is set for this fall, construction of the commercial vehicle tire plant is set for early 2018, and tire production is set to begin at the end 2019
The tire plant will produce commercial vehicle tires for trucks and buses for the North American market and the plant will produce 750,000 tires annually in the first phase.
At this time, all production out of the Mississippi plant will support the North American market. The $1.45 billion investment, which will be completed in 2028, comprises of infrastructure, building, manufacturing equipment, land purchases, etc.
· Installed over 14,000 linear feet of under-drain piping
· Installed approximately 12,000 linear feet of RCP (Reinforced Concrete Pipe) up to 72" diameter
· Constructed 12,500 linear feet of open ditch swales for natural site drainage
· Constructed 4 retention ponds with a combined capacity of well over 64 million gallons of storm water runoff
More than $4 million has been spent locally this year! Continental contracted with 14 companies directly: 8 Mississippi companies and 3 of those companies are minority-owned.
In addition, Continental is working with 15 Mississippi subcontractors and vendors, 3 of those are minority owned. Currently, there are 100+ operators and laborers working on-site
MDA's website provides an opportunity for local companies to register their services and receive alerts in regards to RFPs at www.mississippi.org/continental
Currently five positions have been filled and Mississippians filled the first three positions! The positions filled are: (Project Manager – Michael Egner, Sr. Staff Engineer/Construction Manager – Zach Morrow, Lead Accounting Specialist – Sharon Zillinger, Communications Specialist – Quita Bride, and Head of Plant Controlling - Alexander Meier).
Mass hiring will begin October 2018 and all jobs are posted on our website www.conti-online.com. The positions will include Maintenance Technicians, Material Handlers, IT, and General Management.
In addition, Continental formed a partnership with Hinds Community College to assist with recruitment and training. Four students at Hinds Community College were awarded scholarships through Continental's Maintenance Technician Internship Program, a nine week paid internship.
· Mississippi Blues Marathon: Continental is the Presenting Sponsor for the 11th annual event that attracts enthused runners from around the world.
· Wildlife MS: Continental partnered with the charitable, nonprofit conservation organization Wildlife Mississippi to conserve approximately 1,000 acres of wetlands and streams located along the Bayou Pierre River.
· The Campaign for Children’s Hospital : Continental gave a donation to The Campaign for Children’s Hospital that will assist the hospital’s plans for expansion and upgrades at the state’s only pediatric hospital.
· Clinton High School: Continental gave a donation to Clinton High School for the purchase of Apple TVs to create interactive learning opportunities.
· Jackson Public School District: Continental coordinated with for JROTC cadets and instructors from Jackson Public Schools to tour the Mt. Vernon facility.
GREATER JACKSON ALLIANCE RECOGNIZED